Small savings schemes' interest rates are revised every quarter in accordance with the movement of comparable-maturity benchmark government bonds.
What is the latest RD interest rateThe interest rate on a 5-year recurring deposit has been raised to 6.7 percent from 6.5 percent for the period October-December, a 20 basis point increase.
The interest rates of all schemes expect the recurring deposit rate have been kept unchanged.
Also read: Earn up to 7.75%: Which bank is offering highest interest rate on recurring deposits (RDs)
Recurring deposit detailsThe minimum amount for a monthly deposit is Rs. 100, with multiples of Rs. 10. The subsequent deposits can be made up to the 15th of the month provided the account is opened before the 15th of the calendar month.
(iv) If the account is started between the 16th and the final working day of the calendar month, subsequent deposits may be made up to the last working day of the month.
Also read: Post office recurring deposits: Amount you will get on RD account continued beyond maturity period with or without payments
After how many defaults, RD will be discontinued.
Know the rules if RD installment not paid
- If subsequent deposit is not made up to the prescribed day for a month, a default is charged for each defaulted month, default @ 1 rupee shall be charged for 100 rupee denomination account (proportionate amount for other denomination) shall be charged.
- If in any RD account, there is monthly default, the depositor has to first pay the defaulted monthly deposit with default fee and then pay the current month deposit.
- After 4 regular defaults, the account becomes discontinued and can be revived within two months from 4th default but if the account is not revived within this period, no further deposit can be made in such account and account became discontinued.
When Post Office recurring deposit matures(i)5 years (60 monthly deposits) from the date of opening.
(ii) Account can be extended for further 5 years by giving application at concerned Post Office. Interest rate applicable during extension will be the interest rate at which account was originally opened.
(iii) Extended account can be closed any time during the period of extension. For completed years, RD interest rate will be applicable and for period less than a year, PO Savings Account interest rate will be applicable.
(iv) RD account can be retained up to 5 years from the date of maturity without deposit also.
- Front Page
- Pure Politics
- Learn more about our print editionMore
- Surge in Q2 FMCG, Phone, Car Sales may Bring Festive Cheer
Sales of fast-moving consumer goods (FMCG), cars, smartphones, and household appliances surged in the September quarter, both sequentially and year-on-year, company executives told ET.Piyush Goyal, Chandrasekhar to Grace ET Startup Awards
Union Cabinet minister Piyush Goyal and minister of state Rajeev Chandrasekhar will be the guests of honour at a dazzling ceremony to celebrate the winners of The Economic Times Startup Awards on Saturday, October 7.GST Collections in Sept Jump 10% to ₹1.63 L cr
Goods and services tax (GST) collections rose 10% to ₹1.63 lakh crore in September from a year earlier , maintaining the recent robust pace of growth, showed data released on Tuesday.
Read More News on
(Your legal guide on estate planning, inheritance, will and more.)
Download The Economic Times News App to get Daily Market Updates & Live Business News.
- Annuities can give income for life; should you buy?
- Why is long-term investing going out of favour?
- Gandhi Jayanti bank holiday: Are banks closed today?
- Annuity: How much pension investment of Rs10L will give
- Best investment option: NPS or retirement funds?
- NRI taxation: FAQs on taxable income, ITR forms & more
- How to save Rs 15 lakh in three years
- How falling household savings affect the economy
- Should you prepay home loan before retiring?
- PNB Housing stock price up 109.3% in last one year