Trudeau stated in Parliament that Canadian intelligence agencies have been investigating the accusations since Sikh leader Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a staunch proponent of an independent Sikh nation known as Khalistan, was assassinated on June 18 outside a Sikh cultural center in Surrey, British Columbia.
Trudeau told Parliament that he discussed the slaying with Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the G-20 last week, that any Indian government participation would be unacceptable, and that he requested collaboration in the inquiry.
Who was Hardeep Singh Nijjar?
* Hardeep Singh Nijjar, a name that gained notoriety due to his involvement in militant activities, met a tragic end on June 18, 2023, in Canada. He was fatally shot multiple times outside a Gurudwara in Surrey.
* Born and raised in the village of Bhar Singh Pura in Jalandhar, Punjab, Nijjar migrated to Canada in 1997, where he pursued a career as a plumber. He led a family life, being married and a father to two sons.
* However, Nijjar's life took a dark turn as he became deeply entangled with Khalistan militancy after settling in Canada. He played a significant role in the Khalistan Tiger Force (KTF), an organization notorious for its involvement in acts of terrorism and subsequently banned.
*Nijjar was also associated with the outlawed separatist group Sikhs for Justice (SFJ). His actions led to him being designated a terrorist by the Indian government in 2020.
* Nijjar's alleged involvement in various criminal cases added to his notoriety. He was wanted in connection with the 2007 blast in Ludhiana, Punjab, which resulted in the deaths of six people and left around 40 individuals injured.
* Additionally, he was implicated in the assassination of Rashtriya Sikh Sangat President Rulda Singh in Patiala in 2009.
* The National Investigation Agency (NIA) in India had announced a cash reward of Rs 10 lakh for information leading to Nijjar's apprehension. This announcement came in the context of his suspected involvement in the murder of a Hindu priest in Jalandhar, Punjab, last July. The NIA was also actively probing recent attacks on Indian diplomatic missions in Canada, the UK, and the US, with possible links to Nijjar's activities.
- Front Page
- Pure Politics
- Bottom Line
- Deep Dive
- Learn more about our print editionMore
- India Sees Normal Rainfall Despite El Niño Conditions
India received ‘normal’ rainfall during the four-month-long monsoon season despite El Niño conditions, the India Meteorological Department (IMD) said on Saturday.Byju’s Puts Up a Two-week Notice for FY22 Results
Byju's said on Saturday that it would in the second week of October present the audited fiscal-2022 results to its board, advisory council as well as investors Peak XV Partners and Prosus that have recently withdrawn their representatives from the edtech firm’s board.‘No Inflation Risk from Rising Oil Prices’
The latest spike in oil prices may have a marginal impact on India's FY24 wholesale and retail inflation, said economists. However, they said crude sustaining above the $90-level could be a downside risk for core inflation as companies begin passing on high input costs.
Download The Economic Times News App to get Daily Market Updates & Live Business News.
ETPrime stories of the day
12 mins read
12 mins read
8 mins read